After lots of consideration and playing out different ideas in my head again and again, I made the decision about which fall marathon to run this year. This fall I will run...(drum roll, please)...
I chose Twin Cities for many reasons:
1. Good Reviews: I have heard nothing but good about this race. Good scenery. Good spectators. Good organization.
2. I get to see an old friend: I have a friend who lives up that way whom I have been wanting to visit for quite some time. We survived our first year as teachers in neighboring trailer-classrooms--that is the kind of bond that lasts! Sara is a great, giving person--she even met up with me when I was in Chicago for last fall's marathon--and, from what I hear, she is a great host! She had a baby recently, and it will great to see Sara and little Lakin again!
|Sara, her little one, and I in Chicago|
3. I can still do two races: My original thought about going to KC and Dallas was a little flawed. I thought it would be cheaper, but I was wrong. I have free places to stay in the Twin Cities area, and maybe even the chance to carpool. Dallas would be expensive with a stay in hotel and possible flight. If it is warm in the Twin Cities, I can always fall back on The Gobbler Grind, a small marathon in late November in KC. The Gobbler Grind may not be exciting, but it is in KC and it counts as a qualifying race.
4. Elevation! After researching all my race choices, my main worry with Kansas City was the elevation profile of the course. There are some major downhills, but they are often preceded by some crazy uphills! I love hills, but I am going to have to be super quick this fall to qualify. I don't know if 3:35 will cut it. I am going to bust my hump to run a 3:30, and I think I will need some downhills for that! Twin cities is relatively flat with what looks like a small uphill from mile 21-24. The elevation change in only 100 ft--nothing compared to the 250ft raise on KC's course. I run Kansas City all the time--those hills can be killers!
5. I know some people running Twin Cities: Some girls I know around here are doing the race--hopefully we can do some of our long runs together!
I am excited to head to Minneapolis/St. Paul in just under six months. Here's to hoping for good weather, excellent scenery, and awesome race day energy!
Anyone else going to run Twin Cities on October 2nd?